There’s not much introduction needed here. If you saw yesterday’s post about the baby shower I threw over the weekend, and if your mouth was watering, then you are a Fall-flavors kindred spirit. Butternut squash is quintessential Fall. You’ve seen it in that amazing quinoa pie recipe, and now you can have this hearty gourd as a main course soup…Fall is here…savor it!
Butternut Squash Soup with Ravioli
- 2-3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into quarters
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter pinch ginger pinch cumin pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package frozen cheese ravioli (2-4 ravioli per person/serving) salt and pepper to taste molasses for serving (optional)
In a large pot, cook quartered squash, broth, and cayenne pepper, covered over medium high heat for 20-30 minutes, or until squash is very tender. Carefully ladle small amounts of squash and broth mixture into a blender, and puree until smooth. Set aside in a large container. Repeat in small batches until all squash and broth mixture is blended. Return entire mixture back into large pot, and add butter, additional spices, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on medium heat and add heavy whipping cream, stirring constantly. Simmer on low until ready to serve.
Meanwhile, prepare the ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Ladle hot squash mixture into bowls. Divide cooked ravioli among bowls. If desired, drizzle with molasses. I personally think molasses is NOT optional. 🙂