Hummus is great. Protein, flavor, easy-to-use dip or spread. Quick lunch (especially for mommies) doesn’t have to be your kids’ leftover mac-n-cheese, PB & J, or a handful of chips. Try this healthy and super fast alternative…and its many variations.
- 1 container hummus (I use Eggplant Hummus from Trader Joes)
- Ripe tomato,
- sliced Seedless English cucumber (regular is fine),
- thinly sliced 3-4 basil leaves
- Alfalfa sprouts (optional)
- 2 slices of good, multi-grain bread
- Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
Spread hummus generously on one side of both slices of bread. Layer sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, then alfalfa sprouts on one slice of bread. Dot with hot sauce, and cover with other slice of bread. Voila! Lunch.
- Use Middle Eastern flatbread, and pan toast with a little spray olive oil. Fold in half, and spread hummus, followed by vegetable layers.
- If you have time, substitute garden veggies with grilled eggplant and red peppers…ratatouille inspired.
- Try tuna or canned chicken for a little more protein.
- Go Greek: use sun dried tomatoes, feta and kalamata olives.