This is truly one of my favorite things. For those of you who only know mozzerella in pizza form, this will will be an adventure. The cold, fresh, salty, tangy, and sweet flavors meld to form a delectable appetizer or salad.
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil dash or two of balsamic vinegar
Alterate layers of mozzarella, tomato slices, and basil leaves, overlapping them as you go. Drizzle oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on capers if you like them. Serve immediately.